1 dead in propane tank explosion

One person is dead after a propane tank exploded on 2401 White Plains Road, according to police.

Fire officials say the victim, a maintenance worker, was cleaning a propane barbecue grill near a shed and chemicals mixed, causing a massive explosion.

Authorities say the explosion was so powerful that it blew out windows in neighboring buildings.

The victim was taken to Jacobi Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration says it is still investigating the incident.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."