Fire starts in Bronx barbershop, spreads to apartments above

? A two-alarm fire in University Heights this morning damaged a number of businesses and apartments.

The fire at 217 East 181st St. started in a barber shop and spread into an adjacent grocery store as well as apartments above.

Angel Torres is being hailed as a hero for saving an amputee who was living in one of the apartments above the fire.

While everyone survived the fire, three firefighters suffered minor injuries combating the blaze.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."