Manhole fire causes residents to lose electricity

About 500 power outages were reported the Mott Haven section of the Bronx Friday morning caused by a manhole fire.

Firefighters evacuated more than 40 families in the area due to carbon monoxide concerns. The families have been since let back into their homes.

The heat wave has broken, but residents say it was still too uncomfortable to sleep during a power outage.

Power is expected to return today.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."