2 children injured in Franklin Avenue apartment fire

Two children were injured this morning after a fire broke out in their apartment at 12-53 Franklin Ave.

Officials say that the fire broke out in a bedroom and subsequently blocked their exit from both the hallway and fire escape. Firefighters had to crawl through the flames to rescue the children.

The children were taken to Jacobi Medical Center, which has confirmed that the children are in stable condition.

Investigators report that there were candles found in the room that the fire began in.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."