5 injured in bakery gas fire explosion

Five people were sent to the hospital this morning after a gas fire explosion inside Champion Bakery in Wakefield.

According to Con Edison, a gas leak in one of the bakery's commercial ovens caused the oven doors to fly open, shooting flames into the kitchen. Two workers were burned and three others were thrown across the room from the blast.

Officials say the explosion shattered the shop's glass windows and blew the metal security gate off the store front. Firefighters and Con Edison workers were able to turn the gas off quickly.

Fire officials say the workers were taken to Jacobi Medical Center with minor injuries and are expected to be OK.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."