Basement fire cuts apartment complex electricity in Soundview

A basement fire led to power problems for some Soundview residents last night.

Fire officials say they believe electrical wires caught fire under an apartment complex on Thieriot Avenue. They say firefighters were able to get the flames under control quickly, and crews aired out the building.

Officials say there was no sign of carbon monoxide, but residents still say they were concerned. "There was a smell in the air," resident Oscar Velez said. "I don't want to be upstairs with all the smoke."

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."