Fire breaks out inside 138th Street building

Flames ignited inside the basement of a building on 138th Street this morning, filling a Mexican restaurant on the first floor with smoke.Firefighters who responded to the call say it appears that the fire was caused by an electrical problem. Fire Chief Jim Donlevy says once the flames were extinguished, firefighters proceeded to abate the high levels of carbon monoxide that were detected on the upper floors of the building. No one was injured. The fire did not affect the restaurant above the basement, but it sustained some water and smoke damage. The owner hopes to clean up the eatery and reopen by Monday.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."