Parents urged to keep children away from medicine cabinets

Posted: Updated:

After a 13-month-old died in his Soundview home last Friday after he was given a pill bottle to play with, Bronx officials are telling parents what they can do to keep their children away from the medicine cabinet.

Pharmacist Raymond Macioci says that safety tops are a great way to start, but that parents need to do more than just that. He says keeping pill bottles out of reach from children also helps avoid possible poisoning.

Dr. David Listman, from St. Barnabus Hospital, says if all safety measures fail, it is important to act quickly if you think your child may have ingested medications. He stresses that time is of the essence.Police probe death of 13-month-old baby in Longwood

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."