9/11 health bill takes effect nearly 10 years after attacks

The James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act took effect today, finally providing funding for first responders and survivors who suffered illnesses at the World Trade Center. Mayor Michael Bloomberg and other city officials were joined by EMT workers at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in Manhattan to commemorate the law, named after the officer who lost his life on Sept. 11. The law will provide federal funding for health facilities throughout the country, but some clinics will only offer five years of benefits to responders in need. "There is a lot of work yet to be done," Sept. 11 volunteer Rhonda Villamia said. "There are many conditions that are not included." Under the law, the federal government will pay 90 percent of all costs, with the city covering the remaining 10 percent to guarantee continued funding and treatment.

Congress passes aid package for 9/11 responders News conference on Senate's passage of 9/11 health billSenate set to hold key test vote on 9/11 health care bill

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."