Fire marshal: Candle caused deadly Prospect Ave. fire

Fire marshals have determined that a candle was to blame for a fast-moving fire that killed a family of three on Prospect Avenue back in April.

Christian Garcia, 12, and his parents, Juan Lopez and Christina Garcia, were killed in the apartment fire.

Officials say the building had been illegally subdivided and access to fire escapes was blocked.

Con Edison says the building had no power at the time because there was no record of anyone living there.

1 child, 2 adults dead in Belmont fireInvestigators: Building of fatal fire illegally dividedNeighbors: Inspectors blocked from Prospect Ave. building

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."