Medical examiner: Fatal Morris Ave. fire was an accident

The medical examiner has determined that a fatal fire on Morris Avenue that left one man dead yesterday was an accident.

Firefighters say they found an elderly man dead on the second floor of the house when battling the flames.

Officials haven't confirmed the identity of the victim, but neighbors say it is likely a man named Willie Russell who had been using candles for light since the house did not have electricity.

The medical examiner says the victim died of burns to his head, torso and extremities.

1 person dead, 6 firefighters hurt after fire in Tremont

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."