Carbon monoxide scare causes evacuation in Mount Eden

Stores along a section of East 170th Street in Mount Eden had to close down after high carbon monoxide (CO) levels were detected.

Firefighters forced the stores to close and evacuated those inside those stores until the gas dissipated three hours later.

Officials deemed that a malfunctioning generator in a store's basement was the cause of the CO gas.

Many stores keep their doors open after the firefighters declared it safe just to be extra sure.

No injuries were reported because of the CO gas.

CO poisoning symptoms include headache, nausea, dizziness and shortness of breath. Officials advise anyone who thinks they are suffering from CO poisoning to get outside or seek medical attention immediately.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."