BX salon fills with carbon monoxide, 7 sent to hospital

Officials say a carbon monoxide leak inside a Bronx beauty salon sent customers and employees to the hospital today.

Workers at the salon say they only knew something was wrong when a co-worker fainted while sitting in a chair.

Con Edison and the FDNY say the cause of the leak was a faulty gas-fueled heating system. They say it appears the system was not properly vented, causing carbon monoxide to build up inside the salon.

Officials say a total of seven people were treated for high levels of carbon monoxide found in their blood.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."