PCB contamination found at Bronx elementary schoolPosted: Updated:
The Environmental Protection Agency has found elevated levels of the toxic chemical Polychlorinated Biphenyl (PCB) leaking from light fixtures at a Bronx elementary school.
The EPA says it inspected Public School 68 on Jan. 29 and found PCB levels above the regulatory limit in nine of 11 rooms tested. The Department of Education says it is working to replace the ballasts in the light fixtures.
PCBs were largely used in building materials until they were banned in the 1970s. The toxin has been linked to cancer and vomiting, as well as to damaging brain development and the immune system.
Parents say they are worried about their children's health after being exposed to the chemical and are angry with the school for not notifying them sooner.