9 injured in Hunts Point apartment building fire

Nine people were injured this morning after flames tore through an apartment building in Hunts Point.

Officials say they responded to a fire on Gilbert Place shortly after 5 a.m. Tenant Monique Sanchez says the fire started in her third-floor apartment after she was forced to light candles when the building superintendent shut off her electricity.

Two EMS workers are also being hailed heroes for helping save the lives of several residents. Officials say the men were passing by when they first saw the flames and rushed to help.

Officials say the EMS workers saved a child and family from the fire and resuscitated a woman in her 30s after firefighters found her unconscious.

Others injured during the fire include a child, police officer and an EMS worker. All of the victims were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."