FDNY says Grand Concourse fire sparked by child

FDNY officials say the cause of a blaze that swept through a Grand Concourse shelter was sparked by a child playing with fire.

Firefighters from Ladder 56 rescued a 3-year-old girl and her 1-year-old brother who were found crying on a bed feet from the flames on Friday.

Fire officials say parents should always keep matches and cigarette lighters out of the reach of children.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."