2 children suffer CO poisoning in Tremont

Two young girls suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in Tremont today while sitting in a car that was being dug out of the snow.

EMS officials say the 4- and 7-year-olds were found unconscious on West Tremont Avenue. They say their mother left the car running with the girls inside while she shoveled around the vehicle.

According to officials, carbon monoxide quickly began to build up inside because exhaust couldn't escape through the tailpipe, which was blocked by snow.

First responders say both children were in respiratory arrest when they arrived. The 4-year-old was taken to Bronx Lebanon Hospital, while the 7-year-old was taken to Jacobi Medical Center.

Officials say both girls are expected to recover.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."