Police probe possible role of rat poison in death of 4-year-old Juan Sanchez

Authorities have begun questioning residents living in the building where police say a 4-year-old fell ill and died on Monday.



Officials from the Department of Buildings, the Department of Homeless Services and other agencies questioned residents at 976 Tinton Ave.



Juan Sanchez, 4, died in the building on Monday. The New York Daily News and others media outlets report that Sanchez may have consumed rat poison found in the building's stairwell.



Residents say that officials were asking how often the building is cleaned. They also say the super has started to pay more attention, and that the building has been cleaner since Sunday.



The Administration for Children's Services says it is actively investigating the case.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."